Writing Competition 2020We are delighted to be launching a new writing competition, 'Little Matters and Universal Truths', inspired by Jane Austen's life, home and genius - and in response to lockdown and the small-scale way in which we've all been living our lives this year.
16 Sep — 30 Oct 2020
This competition, generously supported by Art Fund and East Hampshire District Council, is all about taking inspiration from everyday details.
In a letter to her sister Cassandra in 1808, Jane Austen wrote: ‘Little matters they are, to be sure, but highly important.’
Jane Austen’s writing, both her novels and the letters that she wrote throughout her life, are not miniatures, but they focus on the little details of domesticity and through them manage to create something much more universal.
2020 has been a year like no other and our lives have become much smaller than we could have imagined. In this competition, we want you to be inspired by your own ‘little matters’ and focus on your natural surroundings and the minute and domestic details that make up your everyday life.
There are three categories to choose from:
- Letter Writing
And three age ranges for each category:
- Age 5 – 11
- Age 11 – 17
- Adults (18+)
We welcome entries from across the globe. There will be one winner per age range, per category, and one ‘local hero’ winner from our Hampshire based entrants.
The winning pieces will be featured in a special gallery on our website and shared on our social media channels. The winners will also receive an annual pass to Jane Austen’s House and a goody bag from our Gift Shop.
Read on for the guidelines for each category and details of how to submit your entry. Good luck!
How to submit your entry
Please download the form below and email your completed entry to: email@example.com using the subject WRITING COMPETITION. The competition closes at 5pm (UK) on Friday 30 October 2020. After this date no further entries to the competition will be permitted. Please make sure you keep a copy of your work as your entry will not be returned to you. Good luck!
I am very much flattered by your commendation of my last Letter, for I write only for Fame, and without any view to pecuniary Emolument. Jane Austen, 14 January 1796
Terms and Conditions
- The competition is open to residents from across the globe aged 5 years and over except employees of Jane Austen’s House and their close relatives and anyone otherwise connected with the organisation or judging of the competition.
- Competition closes at 5pm (UK) on Friday 30 October 2020. After this date no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
- One entry per person. Bulk and/or third party entries will be void.
- All entries must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the rights of any other party.
- Entries must not contain defamatory, obscene, offensive, or any other unsuitable material; Jane Austen’s House reserves the right to disqualify entries containing such matter. Entries must be suitable to be published by Jane Austen’s House for audiences of all ages.
- The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material, as well as their entry. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter or any other social network. You are providing your information to Jane Austen’s House and their marketing team and not to any other party.
- By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.